It seems that at this time people are finding themselves in one of two categories. Mown out (uber-busy) or bored. For those of you wishing there was a 25th hour in the day, perhaps you could delegate something to me, for I now find myself in the latter category. Lancashire have back peddled on allowing primary age children back to school. This prompted Mrs W and I to investigate the status of key workers wrt schooling a little more closely. We knew that as an (emergency) vet that she had been upgraded to key worker status, but closer inspection showed that only one parent needed to be a key worker for a child to be allowed school provision.
I really enjoyed the home schooling, but I reckon I had covered more than all his syllabus for Year 1 and that what he was needed more now was social interactions with his peers. Further I could feel the dark fingers of depression starting to claw and my ankles. It was time to be proactive for both our sakes. He is now coming to the end of his first week back at school which he is loving. I have applied for temporary work in the brewing sector with breweries I expect to be busy brewing for the bottle and can market. So far two great conversations with brewers who didn’t need another pair of hands and no further replies. Next week I’ll spread my net a little wider if I need to.
With important household repairs and upgrades behind me I was still in need of a project. So I set about ridding the lawn of moss and dandelions. And that sound you can hear… …that’s the sound of the bottle of a barrel being scraped! Anyway, we have a lush, almost weed free lawn as a result. However, for those who would seek to criticise my reduction in biodiversity I would point them to our herb garden which seems a veritable Mecca to local honey bees.
In week 9 Mrs W had a dry cough for 24 hours so went to the local COVID drive through centre for a test. Thankfully this came back negative.
I’ve stepped up my brewing at home in the last two weeks which has been good. On Saturday my second attempt at Hibiscus and Grapefruit Ale will have conditioned enough to try. This is an exciting project because whilst version one did not hit my ‘design spec.’ both myself, my tasting panel and the neighbours all liked it very much. And the colour was to die for, or should that be ‘to dye for?’
Right now some session “Isolation Pale Ale” is just finishing its primary fermentation.
More interesting still has been a commission from a friend / former colleague to brew a beer for their wedding. They liked my idea of combining aspects of their character, background and tastes to produce something which should reflect something of both of them. It could be fruitful if I could think of a way of making such projects commercially viable rather than just fun because then I could make some income from something very creatively enjoyable. For now, in this season of house arrest I am delighted to have a fun challenge to work on. Design one is ready on paper, awaiting some speciality malt to arrive in the next couple of days, then ready to brew next week. I hope it does not seek combine too many flavours and become confused. If it does I know the first thing I’d drop, so I have a plan B. This is what I always enjoyed about developing chemical processes, that ideas beget ideas.
So as we wait for the pubs to open, and with it the opportunity for me to return to my missed routine of work and banter with the other brewers / dray-men if you have a beer design commission in mind, drop me a line and I can give you a quote.